[Milton-L] Did John Milton write this quote? If so, where can I find it?

RMKUSSERY3 at aol.com RMKUSSERY3 at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 21:13:38 EST 2004

I am doing research on Christian Mortalism. What I am studying are the
diverse beliefs
concerning the soul; whether it is mortal or immortal. I have a quote
supposedly from
The Prose Works of John Milton, Volume 4. I have looked through both books
Part I and
Part II and I can't find it. Do you recognize this quote and can you tell me
where I can find it?

"It may be inferred, unless we had rather take the heathen writers for our
teachers
respecting the nature of the soul, that man is a living being, intrinsically
and properly one individual not compounded or separable, not according to the
common opinion made up and formed of two distinct and separate natures as of a
soul and body; but the whole man is a soul, and the soul man." "The death of
the body is the loss or extinction of life. The common definition, which
supposes it to consist in the separation of soul and body is inadmissible."

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

       Thank you for your time,

       Robert A. Ussery

       RMKUSSERY3 at aol.com