[Milton-L] Milton's use of rhetoric

Duran, Angelica ADuran at sla.purdue.edu
Tue Mar 2 15:08:04 EST 2004

Hello, scholars,

This discussion points us, importantly, to these techniques and the helpful vocabulary to refer to writing strategies that make for such wonderful reading experiences.  Authors of course play with conventions, etc.  I have noticed that in Eve's amazing "Sweet is" poem the orient beams, tree, and fertile earth are missing after the volta.  I have expressed my interpretation of those omissions in the "Sexual Mathematics of Paradise Lost" (MQ 37.2: 2003).  My point here, however, is to repeat what my one-time professor Stephen Booth -- who of course is such a careful, careful reader -- passed on to me: always be on the lookout where the mirror, so to speak, transforms the original, including word order, absence, verb tenses, and such.  I think this is why I like Lee Jacobus' wording below of "Mirror repetition" and why I think his handout must have been useful to his students.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Assistant Professor
English Department