[Milton-L] Milton's use of rhetoric

Sheila Rebecca Sander sheila at hum.ku.dk
Tue Mar 2 20:10:31 EST 2004

In connection with my study of the use of rhetoric in the 17th century, I have looked at Eve's description of 'That day... when from sleep I first awaked' (IV.440-491) in some detail and humbly admit that I too have tried to 'pin down' what it is that Milton does in ll 463-464 ('pleased I soon... ') with a name from the rhetoric books. What I have found is that it must be an example of 'antimetabole' (the repetition of words in reverse grammatical order) and 'onomatopoeia', which not only denotes the use of words that seem to imitate or echo the sound or sense to which they refer, but also 'The use of naturally suggestive words, sentences and forms for rhetorical effect' (OED. 2). In other words: the form of the figure mirrors the mirroring of Eves figure or form...

'Sweet is the breath of morn, her rising sweet' (IV.641) is, I would suggest, a clear-cut example of 'epanalepsis': 'a repetition at the end of a line, phrase, or clause of the word or words that occurred at the beginning of the same line, phrase, or clause' (Silva Rhetoricae).

Sheila Rebecca Sander
University of Copenhagen