[Milton-L] Poems of Mourning

Alan Rudrum rudrum at sfu.ca
Sat Jan 31 08:18:38 EST 2004

There is an extensive literature on poems of mourning.    I found these
books useful when preparing an essay on "Henry Vaughan's Poems of
Mourning," to be published in Of Paradise and Light: Essays on Henry
Vaughan and John Milton" (eds Donald Dickson and Holly Faith Nelson), later
this year.  Peter Sacks's book is splendid, I think.

  Abbie Findlay Potts, The Elegiac Mode: Poetic Form in Wordsworth and
Other Elegists (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1967); Phillipe Aries,
Western Attitudes Toward Death, trans. Patricia M. Ranum (Baltimore and
London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1974); Eric Smith, By Mourning
Tongues (Ipswich: Boydell Press, 1977; Phillipe Aries, The Hour of Our
Death, trans. Helen Weaver (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1981); G.W. Pigman
III, Grief and English Renaissance Elegy (Cambridge, Cambridge University
Press, 1985);  Peter M. Sacks, The English Elegy. Studies in the Genre from
Spenser to Yeats (Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press,
1985); Arnold Stein, The House of Death: Messages from the English
Renaissance (Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press), 1986.

There may be other reasons than the kind of "distancing" Boyd Berry has in
mind for not naming close relatives - this is a matter I discuss in
relation to the poems of mourning in Vaughan's first Silex Scintillans
volume, 1650, contrasting them with poems of mourning written earlier.