[Milton-L] Source (death poems, infant mortality, etc.)

Cobelli at aol.com Cobelli at aol.com
Sat Jan 31 11:09:19 EST 2004

Dear List:

Perhaps John Boswell's study on fostering and infanticide in the Middle Ages
(the title escapes me and I have not drunk enough coffee yet) may also
generate some insight.  He seems to posit the view that the public
institutionalization of child-rearing practices (hospitals and foundling homes; see McNamara,
Sisters in Arms, the chapter Martha's Part, for a particularly horrific incident
in 17th century France) in the early modern period was detrimental to infant
mortality rates and perhaps influenced attitudes about that relationship.  I
read Stone not too long ago and realize that many of his views have been called
into question.

Scott Grunow
Department of English
City Colleges of Chicago