[Milton-L] Source (death poems, infant mortality, etc.)

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Sat Jan 31 10:10:24 EST 2004

Jameela--the Natural History article I mentioned argues that, in
these Brazilian slums struggling with extreme poverty, a mother would
assess the survivability of a particular newborn and nurture or
not--invest herself or not emotionally--on that determination (and
sometimes one infant's survivability would be downgraded because the
woman had another toddler in which she was already invested).  The
researcher had been struck by mothers who would callously watch one
infant die, while feeding it only sugar water, but be inconsolable
after the death of another infant/toddler.  So she posits this
protective emotional response: if it won't live, don't get attached.

It has always seemed to me a plausible psychological explanation for
attachment in the past as well.  I'll find the reference.--Margie