[Milton-L] Satan as Hacker (was "My Doom" Virus)

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 12:37:59 EST 2004

Actually, Derek, the creators of worms and viruses are quite Satanic in mindset (the analogy is an apt one, and may help the computer generation better understand what the Adversary is trying to accomplish in PL). Aside from the "cops and robbers" hackers (wiseguys trying to prove they can invent an attack against which no existing computer shield can defend), studies suggest that the creators of particularly nasty viruses are often disgruntled ex-employees of Microsoft, or those who simply want to make the general public hate Bill Gates & Company as much as they do. Just as Satan's Machiavellian justification for harming the Human Pair ("necessity, the Tyrant's plea") consciously disregards the pain and suffering he will cause them to get back at God, so the virus author has no compunction about wreaking havoc for the rest of us, as long as he/she gets 15 minutes in the spotlight, or puts another nail in the Microsoft coffin.

It seems ironic in the extreme that it was a disguised Cromwell who is supposed to have uttered the words "cruel necessity" before the coffin of Charles I (in 1831 inspiring the famous painting by Paul Delaroche of the Lord Protector looking at the body of the executed king). Charles had also pleaded "necessity" in the Eikon Basilike; perhaps by the publication of the first edition of Paradise Lost, Milton had come to recognize that tyranny has no respect for political affiliation---?

In any case, I hope you won't mind if the rest of us appropriate your idea, Derek. It's a good one!

Best to all,

Carol Barton