[Milton-L] source

Duran, Angelica ADuran at sla.purdue.edu
Fri Jan 30 08:26:12 EST 2004

Hello, Norm Burns,

William Walwyn sounds very interesting.  I will keep him in mind -- and probably in my list of notes -- for history students in my classes to pursue.  I had the good fortune of taking a couple of classes from Paul Sever, whose wonderful _Wallington's World: A Puritan Artisan in the Seventeenth-century_ provides a sensitve and intriguing analysis of the expression of sorrow in diary form during the period -- Wallington was suicidal at various times.

A Korean student in my class did not relate his comment -- a conjecture that Milton did not write about deeply intimate emotions in his early poems because those emotions were so powerful -- to his culture; but his comment reminded me of a discussion I had with a Korean woman I worked for in high school.  In my family, we hug and  say "I love you" frequently -- a practice common among Californian Chicano families -- and I noticed she was curious about our habit since I would often yell a goodbye "I love you" when my mother would drop me off to work. She said that in her culture -- I don't know if she meant Korean culture in general or a smaller sub-group -- saying "I love you" to a beloved indicates a low level of love.  The logic is that a strong love would prohibit the verbal expression of that love.  Emotionally, one would well up with love, rendering one unable to express the emotion, and, intellectually, one would recognize the insufficiency of the words to render the emotion.  I would have to look into sociological and psychological journals to see if her evaluation is supported by evidence and recurrent anecdotes; but I offer my anecdote to you and the list.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Assistant Professor
English Department