Virus? Re: [Milton-L] HELLO (This really is from me)

Gardner Campbell gcampbel at mwc.edu
Thu Jan 29 21:52:30 EST 2004

Everything Peter says below is true. Your local machine will not be
infected with the virus unless you open an attachment. Almost certainly
John's computer was not the site of a virus launch, but the result of an
infection elsewhere.

The emails are a nuisance and harm the Internet and local systems
because they generate so much net-clogging traffic. Something like 3/4
of the email with attachments at my school today was MyDoom traffic, and
our email has been a gummy mess over the last couple of days.

Gardner Campbell
Mary Washington College

>>> herman2 at mail.sdsu.edu 01/29/04 7:36 PM >>>
 From what I understand, these viruses only take effect IF someone opens
up
the attachment. And as to how John's e-mail address got used, it is
likely
that John's computer was not used. Rather, his e-mail address was in
someone else's computer which the virus infected. The viruses then found

the other person's email address book, and sent out versions of itself
using those addresses.

In other words, John is innocent, and considerably worse damage will be
done to this list if he un-subscribes.

Peter C. Herman