[Milton-L] source

Norman Burns nburns at binghamton.edu
Thu Jan 29 16:15:07 EST 2004

Angelica--
        I remember once being impressed by reading (I can't remember where)
that
the London merchant and Leveller intellectual William Walwyn was the father of
(I believe) 20 children and outlived them all.  Walwyn was a bit of a challenge
since he lived to be 80.
        The case of Walwyn serves to remind me of how difficult it is for us to
imagine what it was like to live on when surrounded by the frequent deaths of
family members--from parents to the stillborn and children, and the mothers and
wives who so often died bearing them.
        And Boyd Berry does well in his post to remind us of the intimacy of
those deaths in the family home.  I've never been satisfied that I have nearly
got my mind around this everyday circumstance of early modern domestic life.
--Norm Burns