[Milton-L] source

Duran, Angelica ADuran at sla.purdue.edu
Thu Jan 29 13:36:56 EST 2004

Hello, Carol Barton,

While I am using the same syllabus as in previous years for my English 444: Milton course, each experience of teaching Milton is so very distinct.  I assign weekly reading microthemes and reading responses: and so many of the students wrote about very complex issues surrounding death and Milton's early poems, including the Hobson poems.  In the last class, dedicated primarily to "On the Death of a Fair Infant," we discussed the absence of poems on the deaths of his son, mother, and others, then the function of poetry as social catharsis, personal catharsis, etc. bringing in Ben Jonson's poems on the deaths of his son and daughter. I will use Frye to begin our next class meeting.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Assistant Professor
English Department