[Milton-L] source

George McLoone ghmcloone at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 12:15:17 EST 2004

sourceAngelica,
You are probably thinking of Northrop Frye's essay, "Literature as Context: Milton's Lycidas" (1959), reprinted in Frye's Fables of Identity (New York: Harcourt Brace/ Harbinger Books, 1963), 119-29:
        Lycidas is a passionately sincere poem, because Milton was deeply interested in the structure             and symbolism of funeral elegies, and had been practising since adolescence on every fresh             corpse in sight, from the university beadle to the fair infant dying of cough (125).

George McLoone