[Milton-L] Re: help interpret a line

ZámbónéKocic Larisa larisa at galamb.net
Mon Jan 26 17:21:43 EST 2004

Not to disagree with the notions below, I just want to remark that God did much more then merely declared "Because I said so!" as most of us parents tend to do to brush of the tedious task of explanation :-) After all, he did send Rafael to instruct the human pair (quite resonable, after all, if we abide by the premise that God created them reasonable creatures - which Milton isists upon quite forcefully - then it is not mechanical obedience that he expects but one based on reasoning, "authors to themselves in all / both what they JUDGE and what they choose." Not that remembering His love towards them is not an act of reasoning  and judging accordingly :-)))
With respect,
Larisa.

Ps. "Because I said so" parents remind me of Disney modeled parents like Ariel's father Triton in the Little Mermaid.... Triton might have some resemblance with Michelangelo's rendering of the Father, but surely nothing do with Milton's God :-)