[Milton-L] why teach Milton to college students?

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 26 10:32:56 EST 2004

For Julia Major:

I believe that Stanley Fish and Barbara Lewalski, et al. participated in a
plenary panel on this very subject not too long ago, though I don't know if
their papers were subsequently published.

One reason for teaching Milton is that (acknowledged by the eighteenth
century or not), his ideas are at the foundation of our own concepts of
human rights and (Lord help us) the separation of church and state---which
has NOTHING whatsoever to do with having or not having the Decalogue
engraved in stone in a court of law!

Best,

Carol Barton

---