[Milton-L] Performing PL

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 07:05:39 EST 2004

Oh, my, David! Tell your students that their interpretation of this scene is
the wrong one: it's not an occasion for disappointment: it's a reason to
rejoice! Three productions of Milton's most famous work, after 330 years?
BRAVO, in advance, and may this mark the beginning of a competitive
tradition!

I'm sure all of us will be there with you on opening night, if only in
spirit. "Break a leg!"

Carol Barton

David Robertson wrote:

> You may remember that last autumn there was a brief exchange about
> performing PL.
>
> A group of students here at the University of Tampere, Finland decided
last
> April to attempt to put PL on stage. . . . There will be four performances
in a professional theatre which they have hired. The opening night will be
on Monday 9th February.

. . . We did believe we were the first people in the world to
 stage it in English.

> Yesterday we found out we will not be. Two separate, independent
productions will beat us to it by a few days. PL is opening in two theatres
in Britain on January 30th. At The Bristol Old Vic, and at the Royal
Theatre, Northampton.

> Needless to say, we are disappointed!

> If anyone would like to know more about our production, I'll be glad to
> tell them more. Or they can write to a student who is co-directing the
> play, Aleksis Meaney: aleksis.meaney at uta.fi

> David Robertson
> Senior Lecturer in English
> University of Tampere