[Milton-L] Performing PL

David Robertson david.robertson at uta.fi
Thu Jan 22 14:55:21 EST 2004

You may remember that last autumn there was a brief exchange about
performing PL.

A group of students here at the University of Tampere, Finland decided last
April to attempt to put PL on stage. Over the summer four of them worked at
producing a script, and in September rehearsals began. My major role was as
a consultant on what precisely certain lines meant, what might be cut and
what simplified so that the audience would still understand. The students
themselves chose to emphasize the inevitability of the Fall, but then the
human aspect of Adam and Eve ultimately supporting each other with enduring
love.

I should add that the performance will be in English, and that all the
actors are Finns who are reading English at university.

The students have done the dramatization themselves, but found a
professional to create costumes for them, and another to deal with the
lighting. There will be four performances in a professional theatre which
they have hired. The opening night will be on Monday 9th February.

While working on this, we discovered that PL had been put on stage in
Finnish in 1976 by the professional Helsingin kaupunginteatteri (Helsinki
City Theatre). But we did believe we were the first people in the world to
stage it in English.

Yesterday we found out we will not be. Two separate, independent
productions will beat us to it by a few days. PL is opening in two theatres
in Britain on January 30th. At The Bristol Old Vic, and at the Royal
Theatre, Northampton.

Needless to say, we are disappointed!

If anyone would like to know more about our production, I'll be glad to
tell them more. Or they can write to a student who is co-directing the
play, Aleksis Meaney: aleksis.meaney at uta.fi

David Robertson
Senior Lecturer in English
University of Tampere