[Milton-L] help interpret a line

Beth Bradburn bradbure at wfu.edu
Wed Jan 21 22:07:05 EST 2004

> I don't understand this argument:
> Since he's not using physical force, surely
>
>>it's reasonable to look for verbal trickery in this situation.
>
> It is, as you point out, obvious that Satan is trying to persuade Eve to do something that she is disinclined to do. In speech-act terms, his speech is perlocutionary. But if every act of persuasion involved, by definition, "verbal trickery," then you and I and St. Paul and Cicero and a whole lot of other fine folk would be in a bad way. No? J

Of course.  I didn't mean that all persuasion is verbal trickery.  I
just meant that interpreting the line as involving a sleight-of-hand
doesn't necessarily come from uncritically applying a received way of
thinking about Satan.  It's reasonable to think in terms of trickery,
given the dramatic situation.

Beth Bradburn