[Milton-L] help interpret a line

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Wed Jan 21 16:19:19 EST 2004

I think that you are right -- except in your opening distinction. I suppose my initial point was that the convolutedness of the claim "your fear itself removes the fear" is no argument against its validity. I hold to that view. As you go on to show, against your opening comment, Satan is indeed wrong, but for the simple reason that his premises are faulty. He has not eaten the fruit; he is not a talking snake; it is far from clear that the tree is a test that Eve will pass by cheating; etc. Satan's syllogisms fail. But their failure is a simple failure. It is not reflected, as far as I can tell, in the logical form of "your fear itself removes the fear."  J