[Milton-L] help interpret a line

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Wed Jan 21 07:35:40 EST 2004

Is there really anything "poisoned" or "Satanic" about the logic of "your fear itself of death removes the fear"? Granted, "bad logic" is the sort of thing that we think we are supposed to say about the sorts of things that Satan says; but isn't that rather reductive and convenient? It seems to me that "your fear itself of death removes the fear" is the kind of enthymeme that we quite often employ when trying to examine the consistency between underlying principles and instances of their application.

J.D. Fleming

Dr. James Dougal Fleming,
Assistant Professor of English,
Simon Fraser University,