[Milton-L] Why sin in Milton's creation?

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Tue Jan 20 13:14:41 EST 2004

Thanks to Cynthia and Deborah for the suggestions.

I think the idea of "proliferation" works in general, but I wonder how
well it works for Milton?   I think any answer that related to some
unmet need on God's part wouldn't work for Milton, but I'm wondering how
he would have worked this out, since I'm not sure he was trinitarian.
The traditional, trinitarian answer is that God doesn't need others to
love because God is a trinity to begin with -- God is both the subject
and object of his own love, self giving and self receiving.  Was this
answer possible for Milton?  If not, how did he work it out?

Jim