[Milton-L] Why sin in Milton's creation?

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Jan 20 12:43:31 EST 2004

>>The question  I was asking was, "Why create people -at all-
?",

>Perhaps a true artist needs to create, as well as to give?

See Dorothy Sayers' "The Mind of the Maker."

My take is God creates from love.  Love seeks a lover [it is
too cold to say 'an object'].  The wonder of the creation of
humanity is well expressed, to my mind, in the Collect for 2
Christmas, as found in the 1979 BCP: "O God, who wonderfully
created, and yet more wonderfully respored, the dignity of
human nature: Grant that we may share the divine life of him
who humbled himself to share our humanity, your Son Jesus
Christ...."

I was fortunate to supply for a friend on 2 Christmas this
year, and preached the Collect as well as the lessons, so to
speak.

This prayer is new to the 1979 BCP, but is not itself new,
dating back to the Leonine sacramentary.

Anyhow - my take is that God creates sentient creatures,
blessed with reason, memory, and skill, in order for love to
proliforate.

Cynthia
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU