[Milton-L] New virus alert

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Tue Jan 20 10:16:12 EST 2004

Somewhat off topic, but seemed important.  I received the following from
the moderator of another listserve.

Jim

Hi all.  I wanted to let you know that there is a new virus making the
rounds, targeting PCs running Windows.  It has appeared in my mailbox
several times in the last three days.  (I'm on either a Mac or a Unix
system, depending on where I am sitting, so I am safe from it -- but PC
users running MS Windows are definitely targeted.)

It is possible that a list member might be infected and might
unintentionally spread it to the list.

The virus protection people have issued new patches for it, so please be
sure to update your virus definitions immediately.

The virus is called "Beagle" or "Bagle" (depending on who you ask).  It
gets in your system and reads various files looking for email addresses,
then sends itself to every address it finds.

It includes an .exe file (which you should NOT click on!) that is
randomly named, and the message in the body typically says this:

    Test =)
    duanvshkwvukdir
    --
    Test, yep.

*Please* protect yourself and us.  Get your virus software updated and
scan your system.  If this hits someone on the list of subscribers, there
is not a thing I can do to prevent the spread of the virus.  Only
subscribers can post messages, but if you get infected and the thing
masquerades as the address under which you are subscribed, the infected
message will go to all subscribers.

If this thing gets into the list, I will switch the setup such that the
list will be moderated by me, meaning I need to approve all messages
before they go out.  I'd rather not have to do that....

This has been a public service announcement!