[Milton-L] Why sin in Milton's creation?

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Tue Jan 20 10:08:20 EST 2004

I probably wasn't clear in my question.  The passage below does answer
the question, "Why create people free" -- as was said before, an
enforced good is no good at all.

The question  I was asking was, "Why create people -at all-?",
especially given the knowledge that they would sin.  How was this worth
it to God?  I don't think Milton would have allowed the idea that God
was "lonely" or otherwise "needed" human beings -- neither their
presence nor their worship. So...why?

I really like Milton's alignment of "reason" and "choice," by the way.
So far as this goes it seems parallel to the Areopagitica -- "reason is
but choosing."

Jim