[Milton-L] Why sin in Milton's creation?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 20 12:25:12 EST 2004

<<
Salwa Khoddam <skhoddam at cox.net> wrote:
and though God foresaw their fall, He allowed it
because "not doing so would make of good a mockery."

I don't get it
please elaborate
`kj

It always puzzles me that when this topic recurs, as it so often does, Fulke
Greville is so rarely mentioned.

Greville by the midway of his life was a really hard-nosed Calvanist --
possibly even more so than Milton, though it's difficult to map late 16C
theological attitudes onto mid-17C ones.

Chorus Sacerdotum from +Mustapha+:

              Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
              Born under one law, to another bound;
              Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
              Created sick, commanded to be sound.
              What meaneth nature by these diverse laws?
              Passion and reason self-division cause.
              It is the mark or majesty of power
              To make offences that it may forgive;
              Nature herself doth her own self deflower,
             To hate those errors she herself doth give.
             For how should man think that he may not do,
             If nature did not fail and punish too?
             Tyrant to others, to herself unjust,
             Only commands things difficult and hard,
             Forbids us all things which it knows is lust,
             Makes easy pains, unpossible reward.
             If nature did not take delight in blood,
             She would have made more easy ways to good.
             We that are bound by vows and by promotion,
             With pomp of holy sacrifice and rites,
             To teach belief in good and still devotion,
             To preach of heaven's wonders and delights:
             Yet when each of us in his own heart looks
             He finds the God there far unlike his books.

(ripped out of the context of a closet-drama)

I'm neither expert on Greville nor Milton, so I'd dearly love to overhear
someone who knows more unpicking the relation between Greville and Milton on
predestination.

Robin Hamilton