[Milton-L] Why sin in Milton's creation?

Alberto Cacicedo alc at mac.com
Sat Jan 17 12:19:53 EST 2004

Here's my sense of it:  As the Father says, "Freely they stood who
stood, and fell who fell."  The passage in which that quotation appears
(3.80-134) is very rich in presenting the Father's understanding of sin
in relation to free will.  In it, the fall of Satan and of humans is
considered a "revolt," literally a turning away from God.  In book 2,
Sin springs from the head of Satan, apparently as soon as Satan turns
his regard from God to himself.  So the freedom to revolt, to turn
away, is the freedom to sin--or not, as freely we/they choose.

Al Cacicedo