[Milton-L] help meet

Gardner Campbell gcampbel at mwc.edu
Thu Jan 8 18:16:11 EST 2004

Margie,

Michael Lieb did a fine presentation on this subject at a Murfreesboro
Milton conference several years back. 1995 or 1997, perhaps?

Gardner

>>> dwood at stfx.ca 01/08/04 03:00PM >>>
Margaret,
             Are you sure it wasn't simply the OED? It refers to the
verses
in Genesis and observes that the two words were 'first improperly
hyphened
and then taken as one word.' The first gloss offered is 'a suitable
helper.'
The date suggested is 1673, earlier than 'helpmate' 1715. If you do
discover
another 'source,' I hope s/he has acknowledged the Dictionary
appropriately!
    Best wishes,
    Derek Wood.