[Milton-L] help meet

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Thu Jan 8 13:04:41 EST 2004

Friends--recently I read a critical discussion of the Genesis verse
"It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a help meet
for him" which took issue with the later conflation of "a help meet
(of 'fit') for him" into "a helpmeet."

Alas, I cannot remember where I read this or whose work it was.  At
the time I was thinking about fallen angels, not about marriage.  If
anyone can point me toward a likely suspect, or is willing to claim
authorship of this elusive piece of scholarship, I would be grateful
for the guidance.

Margie