[Milton-L] Milton's use of rhetoric

Frances Batycki dbatycki at ucalgary.ca
Sun Feb 29 11:47:31 EST 2004

There is one called /The Forest of Rhetoric/ (if it's still up and
running).  It's not specifically Milton but I found it well done and
quite useful.  At the other end of the scale is  a book called /A
Dictionary of Literary Devices: Gradus, A-Z/ by Bernard Dupriez and
translated and adapted by Albert W. Halsall -- who won one of Canada's
Goveror General's Literary Awards for his translation (my plug for
Canada for day).  The book is not one I recommend to students because it
is really a "forest" but it's thorough and detailed and a must for a
rhetorician's library.  You might be able to glean a short list for your
students.  I have used Lanham, and I love the book dearly, but it's not
as discriminating as one might wish for teaching early modern writers.
Of course, Sloane's /Encyclopedia of Rhetoric /is worth having.  And
finally, going to some of the early modern rhetoricians themselves is
good.  Some of the texts are simply lists.
I'm envious.  I'd love to take the course.
Frances