[Milton-L] Re: Memorization

Jesse Swan swanjesseg at netscape.net
Thu Feb 26 23:18:58 EST 2004

Wow.  Obviously?  Can we not imagine, in this dramatic circumstance,
"Never, never, never, never, never" being not only not all trochaic or
all iambic, but wildly syncopated, as in, spondee, trochee, (caesura,)
indeterminate trochee or iamb, iamb, pyrrhic?  There's "obviously" a
longish, dramatic pause between this line and the next, thereby
allowing, if not necessarily encouraging, such a wildly syncopated line.
 Wild syncopation could well reflect the state of being of the
character.  And all of this does not consider the possible recourse to
quantity.

jesse