[Milton-L] memories

laurie johnson laurie.johnson1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 10:55:19 EST 2004

While I've never assigned student's to memorize lines of verse, I had to
myself for a graduate Chaucer course. We were all expected to memorize the
first 20 or so lines of the prologue, go to the professor's office, and
recite it to her in private (no humiliation fact). What I will say about
memorization in this case is that for me, the only way to remember was to
really understand what the poem was saying, which forced me to study
Chaucerian English more closely, which made my reading experience of The
Canterbury Tales both more enjoyable and more informative. In short, I
learned a thing or two.
Laurie Johnson