[Milton-L] memories

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 26 09:46:58 EST 2004

I don't know whether this anecdote is relevant to the debate or not.

When I was in high school I was asked to memorize and recite for some
local musical group a very long poem. I think it was by Lowell (NOT
Robert but one of his ancestors) and I think it had something to do with
music. That's all that I remember about it. I don't have the foggiest
idea of what it's title was even, or what musical instruments, if any,
it mentioned. As I recall, my speech teacher and the women in the club
all thought I gave an acceptable presentation, and I do know that I
needed no props to remember it. Not only memorizing a poem but repeated
practice of delivering it did not cause me to remember _anything_ about
it. And I wasn't "resisting" as many students assigned a memorization
probably would. I _wanted_ to understand (for aid in delivering) the
text I was memorizing.

Carrol