[Milton-L] Re: Memorization

Sara van den Berg vandens at slu.edu
Thu Feb 26 09:23:59 EST 2004

I think Carrol's comment might be amplified.  "Never, never, never, never, never" is the only all-trochee line in Shakespeare's works.  It is obviously not iambic.  I once heard the noted San Francisco actor, William Ball, give a spellbinding lecture on metrics.  He cited that line, and compared it (and grieving Lear) to "a great engine slowly coming to a final stop."

Sara van den Berg