[Milton-L] memories

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Thu Feb 26 10:12:29 EST 2004

Your thinking, Mr. Fleming, is still brutally either/or.  IF
memorization is "learning" the poem, THEN we should be memorizing all
the poetry we can.  There's no recognition of the possibility that
memorization is One Type of learning among many, with its own unique
advantages and disadvantages, so should be considered -along with- other
strategies.

The objection in an earlier post that it took up valuable classroom time
seemed more to the point, if one accepts that memorization is among the
least effective pedagogical techniques.  But it seemed to me that some
professors were having students do their recitations during office hours.

One caveat: I think memorization and recitation is irrelevant to the
"hanging mobile" poems of e.e. cummings, for example -- any poem that's
more visually than phonically oriented.

Jim