[Milton-L] Pepys and Recitativo, a response to James Fleming

Feisal Mohamed feisalm at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 00:29:00 EST 2004

I must say that I agree wholeheartedly with James Fleming's contributions to
this thread.

If I can share some autobiography, I have found this dialogue interesting
because one of the reasons I embraced English and fled Biology as an
undergraduate was to avoid rote memorization.  There is a great deal in that
discipline that one is simply expected to memorize in freshman and sophomore
courses--defining characteristics of invertebrate classes, hormones of the
pituitary and their feedback mechanisms, the molecular structure of all
twenty-two naturally-occurring amino acids.  "Don't worry," my classmates
and I would often say to one another while cramming for an exam, "you have
to memorize it, not understand it."  There was, it turned out, some truth to
that bit of undergraduate intellectual laziness: one could be entirely
successful in such courses without having a clear conceptual grasp of any of
the material.

This is an extreme example, but it informs my sense in literary study that
memorization breeds a sham familiarity with a text.  It is possible--even
likely, in an undergraduate classroom--that one memorize and recite a
passage without learning a jot about its sound or its sense.

I enjoyed the example from Pepys that Professor Rudrum provided (see below).
It is worth noting, however, that Pepys's insight came while he was
_listening_ to Italian well performed, not while he was making his own
attempt at "proper accent."  If undergraduates come as far as Pepys
did--recognizing in a "foreign" language that the sense, and excellence, of
poetry comes fully to life in its "native" sound--and are able to speak
intelligently about the relationship between sound and meaning, then this
instructor is more than pleased.  (Beckett and friends may have enjoyed
recititavio enough fully to enter into the spirit of it, but who among us
has a classroom of Becketts?)

Given that the number of assignments one can give in a term is limited, and
that one must cut significantly into lecture time to allow for a class of 30
to engage in recitation, I simply do not see memorization as the most
productive exercise one can give.  If learning about the sound of poetry is
the goal, why not encourage discussion in this avenue?  If "possessing" a
work is the object, does this not also happen when one engages in the
consideration and reconsideration necessary to thoughtful analysis?  Nothing
that has been offered so far has convinced me that memorization is the best
means to the ends that have been advertised in its defence.

Unconvinced,
Feisal