[Milton-L] memorization and other Miltonic pedagogies

JBMorgaine at aol.com JBMorgaine at aol.com
Wed Feb 25 16:54:18 EST 2004

Greetings.

I agree, of course, that no student or teacher should be subject to "busy
work."  The surest way I've found to avoid it is using frames like Bloom's
Taxonomy or Vygotsky's scaffolding-- if I can't justify in words how any particular
assignment builds on a previous one or leads to a next one, it's "busy work"
in at least one sense.  Would any of you like to argue that Milton's
pedagogical ideals are worth pursuing in this day and age (despite the fact that few of
our students need instruction in, say, "the exact use of their weapon")?  In
"Of Education," Milton stated his opinions about sequencing, that some things
need to be learned first so that others can be mastered later.  Only after
students learn grammar, pronunciation, all of the mathmatics, natural and social
and practical sciences do they move on to what we study today in departments of
English, and then memorization plays a part:

"When all these employments are well conquer'd, then will the choise
Histories, heroic poems, and Attic tragedies of statliest and most regal argument,
with all the famous Politicall orations offer themselves; **which if they were
not only read; but some of them got by memory,** and solemly pornounc't with
right accent, and grace, as might be taught, would endue them even with the
spirit, and vigor of Demosthenes or Cicero, Euripedes, or Sophocles. And not
lastely will be the time to read with them those organic arts which inable men to
discourse and write perspicuously, elegantly, and according to the fitted stile
of lofty, mean, or lowly."  (Of Education, Riverside, 984; apologies for typos
I missed)

Following these, students can be expected to learn some Logic, then "a
gracefull and ornate Rhetorick," "To which Poetry would be made susequent, or indeed
rather precedent, as being less suttle and fine, but more simple, sensuous
and passionate."  This, Milton claims, "would make them soon perceive what
despicable creatures our common rimers and playwrites be, and shew them, what
Religious, what glorious and magnificent use might be made of Poetry both in divine
and humane things.  From hence and not till now will be the right season of
forming them to be able writers and composers in every excellent matter, when
they shall be thus fraught with an universall insight into things." (984)
Those of us who figured this out became students and teachers of English.  Many of
us remember the texts that led us here.  We happy few.

Without a notion of sequencing our teaching, even the greatest of subjects
can become tedious and disconnected, producing students who "do for the most
part grow into hatred and contempt of learning, mockt and deluded all this while
with ragged notions and babblements, while they expected worthy and
delightfull knowledge…" (981)

Is this adequate justification for memorization as an *important* part of
what we do when we teach English?

Julianne Bruneau
UND