[Milton-L] Memorization and Naomi Wolf

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Wed Feb 25 11:53:52 EST 2004

Thanks much for the response, Mr. Cox.  Isn't this relative to the
specific relationship, though?  Wouldn't it be dependent upon the level
of trust and attitude toward the superior, in other words, as well as
dependent upon the individual's own relationship to authority?  I, like
many others -- probably like most people -- have suffered a perceived
betrayal from a trusted authority (and on more than one occasion).  At
the time it was traumatic.  I went through a period of adjustment, which
required growing up a bit on my part, and wound up understanding that
human beings are human beings and can only be trusted as far as their
characters and limitations warrant, which in all cases is limited.

At any rate, while I won't exclude this reaction as a possibility in
some cases, it's still reasonable to question this particular instance.
My perception of the article was that it didn't describe her own
personal trauma with nearly the credibility or detail that I see in your
response below.  When I read her article, I questioned.  When I read
your response below: no.  There's a ring of truth lacking in the former
that I see present in the latter.  I don't see Woolf exhibiting signs of
damage, at least now -- I could be mistaken.  I'm curious if there were
such signs in her past work.  And given the specific circumstance, isn't
"imagination" a bold euphemism for "lying" in this case?

Jim