[Milton-L] Memorization and Naomi Wolf

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Wed Feb 25 10:15:41 EST 2004

I think I never am going to live down the Carroll/Carol mistake, but
given how long I've been on this list, I probably shouldn't.

Anyway, I appreciate Ms. -Barton's- response.  I think we need to
distinguish between two things in the article:

1. The facts/nature of Woolf's abuse.
2. The environment at Yale.

Regarding the second, I think the article, to the extent that it's
accurate, does describe a  genuinely dysfuncational environment, at
least in relationship to this issue.  So the article does the Yale
student body and the academic community at large a good service by
exposing it.   If the article was at all accurate on this point, it
needed to be written.

Regarding the first, I think the responses below are pretty valid (I
don't recall those specific details but I didn't read the entire article
either).  I'd also like to add that a person who is "destroyed" (was Ms.
Woolf really "destroyed"?) by someone putting a hand on her thigh is a
pretty fragile human being.   I'm not saying this was appropriate or
acceptable behavior on Bloom's part (it wasn't), but that some sense of
proportion is in order.  I would say she was humiliated at the moment.
I would say she may have questioned how seriously Bloom took her as a
student and scholar.  I can see it affecting her attitude about the
environment at Yale, but if she took no action, and if no other male
professor treated her this way, then I'm not sure if even this is justified.

I think what's going on is that Woolf kept quiet about it at the time to
advance her career, and now she's speaking out about it to advance her
career.

The prinicple behind the issue is, in both instances, moot.  At least
for Ms. Woolf.

Jim