[Milton-L] Memorization

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Wed Feb 25 08:13:40 EST 2004

I recommend Robert Scholes new book, The Crafty Reader, which opens
with a scathing examination of how the New Critics, with their
disdain for the simple and sentimental, cut off appreciation for
poetry at the root and led students to believe that it IS all a
puzzle or trick.  His chapter includes hysterical threads from high
school student help websites: for example,

Subject: symbolism: gardens
what do gardens symbolize? are there any sexual innuendos? anything
that one could dig up on the symbolism of gardens would be a great
help.   Scholes, 22

Subject: "Oedipus Rex"--Irony  I need help finding Irony in Oedipus
Rex! There's supposedly alot of it in there, but I've been assigned
Scene II and there's only so much. . . .   Scholes, 23-4

I'd always encountered "flows smoothly" as their touchstone for essay
writing, as in "I didn't understand your paper but it flows
smoothly."--Margie

--
Margaret Thickstun
Professor of English