[Milton-L] Re: Memorization and K. Jackson

Jameela Lares jlares at ocean.otr.usm.edu
Wed Feb 25 06:19:09 EST 2004

I routinely ask my Brit Lit I survey students to write a sonnet
for their second of three papers.  I have in the past also assigned a
paper as an alternative, and most of them have chosen the "easier"
assignment, only to find what we could all predict.  It's magic to
grade--it takes them forever to do it properly, and only five minutes to
assess.  In order to cut down on plagiarism, I tell them that it must be
keyed to a sonnet in the text (they have to explain how) but that it also
must relate to a current event.  I may add some strictures entitled
"What this assignment is NOT," including free verse, musings about their
boyfriends or girlfriends, love poems to baby daughters, etc.

Cheers,

Jameela