[Milton-L] memorization

Harper, D. CPT ENG David.Harper at usma.edu
Tue Feb 24 09:09:00 EST 2004

Since some who haven't used recitations seem interested in doing so (and
I really do think it worthwhile) here are the ground rules I've
developed for my classes:

1) I almost never have them perform a poem we've already discussed in
detail (I want them to have to interpret it for themselves first) and
for the same reason I don't perform that particular passage for them
until they are done with it, but I perform others as examples.

2) I explain the pedagogy of the practice and then lay out the ground
rules:

	During the recitation a student who is stuck may ask me for a
prompt two times. I'll give them the next word. It is usually something
useful, like "is" unfortunately.
	They get one "mulligan" - they can restart the poem one time.
	The prompts and the mulligan, if used, obviously detract from
their grade.
	If they get stuck, I'll allow them to stand there trying to
recall the poem for about one minute. It feels like an eternity for
everyone involved.
	I have another student in the room critique the performance in a
couple sentences, then I critique it and assign a grade.

3) I usually perform the poem for them after they have finished. I have
the person in the room with the highest grade on the recitation grade
me. Sometimes I spice it up by wagering a "step" up in the classes'
recitation grade if the grader catches me in a mistake.

My first semester I videotaped the performances and allowed students to
come in and review the tape with me. However, I no longer do that since
I had very few takers and it added time and frustration to the lesson.

I'm attaching one of my grading sheets. I give these to the students
before the recitation so they can use it in practice (I've found they
otherwise might find an inaccurate version on a website) and then I
grade on these during recitations.

My classes are generally 12 - 15 students and we comfortably get through
all of the 14-16 line recitations in 55 minutes or so.

These things usually become great fun by the end of the semester.
Students who may not be doing so well on their written assignments may
receive a bit of a boost if they can memorize accurate and perform
appropriately.

Dave Harper

Captain David A. Harper
Assistant Professor, Department of English
United States Military Academy
(845) 938-2643