[Milton-L] Memorization

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Feb 24 21:29:47 EST 2004

>> discern hidden meanings

I'm afraid that phrase, with which I too am familiar, is more
an indictment of how some students have been taught to read
poetry [and other literature] than anything about the
students.

There must be teachers somewhere out there who teach
literature as puzzle solution, or imply that writers hide
meaning in odd places, like coins in a King Cake.

I think too there must be teachers somewhere whose teaching
of prosody results in the dread catch phrase "flows smoothly."

In my experience, students don't make these things up;
someone teaches them.

Cynthia
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU