[Milton-L] memorization

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Tue Feb 24 11:52:48 EST 2004

Thanks for your post. To some extent, I think you misunderstand me. I was not and am not suggesting that we as literary scholars ought to comport ourselves in a way that will please our scientific culture. I was and am suggesting that being belle-lettristic is exactly the way for us to please our scientific culture. For belles-lettres is exactly the trivial activity that our scientific culture has meted out to us. I agree that a loud assertion of this activity -- what you call "strategic belletrism" -- would be one way of kicking aganst the pricks. But it does not seem to me a very strong way. The strong way, surely, is to assert (and again we seem to be in agreement here) our own kind of knowledge -- knowledge, mind you, not just attractive busywork. For my money, our kind of knowledge is an hermeneutic knowledge of a tradition. I do not assert that memorizing produces no such knowledge. I do assert that it doesn't produce very much.

Since this discussion seems to have raised strong feelings, perhaps it would be helpful for me to note (1) that I am not making this stuff up out of my own wax, but am getting it from Hans-Georg Gadamer _Truth and Method_ (1960), which I recommend to all; and (2) that my own position, like all positions worth having, is evolving.

JDF