[Milton-L] Memorization / Level of Learning

Jameela Lares jlares at ocean.otr.usm.edu
Tue Feb 24 09:39:44 EST 2004

I, for one, am familiar with Bloom's taxonomy and don't see how the
recommended assignments stop at the second stage of understanding.  (In
fact, I'm wondering if the rote memory of the first stage is possible
without the second stage of understanding, but that's another issue.)
The various approaches I've heard all move the memorization through
interpretation to the stages of breaking down (4th), resynthesizing (5th),
and evaluating (6th) the passage in order to present it meaningfully.  As
a sometime composition teacher, let me also point out another advantage of
the various approaches: they require students arduously to produce
something meaningful--cf. the many revisions required to craft a clear and
gracefully written argument--rather than letting them assume they grasp a
meaning that they cannot articulate.

Best wishes,

Jameela Lares

--