[Milton-L] Memorization

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Feb 24 10:06:08 EST 2004

I think we need to take into account
>differences in student audiences as well.

And when we all are teaching a lot of students who have gone
through systems like Virginia's, in which high stakes
standardized tests mean that classroom teaching is tailored
to rote memorization of facts for an exam, we will have a
different set of pedagogical issues.

This year will be the first in Virgnia in which students will
have to pass the SOLs to graduate frm high school, regardless
of their high school grades. But the run up to that point is,
I think, already having an effect on students whose high
school learning experience is not founded in exploration and
excitement, but in learning sets of facts for regurgitation.

This kind of teaching - and the assumptions behind it [pour
data into empty heads, then flush] - make for very passive
learners.

Mr. Gradgrind's Academy lives, dammit.

Cynthia Gilliatt
Cynthia A. Gilliatt