[Milton-L] Memorization / Level of Learning

Lafond, Curt clafond at capnhq.gov
Tue Feb 24 09:03:51 EST 2004

I can still recite the poetry my 12th grade English teacher assigned to us.  I value the lessons from that class to this day.

However, as a curriculum developer, I suggest that memorization is an activity that falls into the knowledge level in the cognitive domain, (if you're familiar with Bloom's taxonomy).

One may memorize a text and still not comprehend its themes, value its merit, etc.

What's more important than rote memory work, in my view, is for instructors to bring their students up to a higher level of learning (ie: comprehension, synthesis, etc.).

- curt

CURT LAFOND | Hq Civil Air Patrol | 334.953.4304
LEAD Team: Leadership, Education, and Development |CAP.gov