[Milton-L] Memorization

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Tue Feb 24 09:54:13 EST 2004

I agree with Mr. Fleming here, but I think we need to take into account
differences in student audiences as well.  I'm a community college
graduate myself, and have taught at a community college, but have also
taught at two different private universities (one with a pretty
academically strong student body, and one with a not so strong student
body).  All these schools were within about ten square miles of each
other.  In my limited experience I've found real differences in student
populations and how you need to handle them.

The CC students tended to actually fight me more to get taught.  The
best students by far were international students; I had one from
Afghanistan and one from the Ukraine.  I had a Spanish speaking student
who was a terrible, terrible writer with good ideas -- she really
engaged the material as best she could with the resources at her
disposal.  But most of the rest?  The Afghani student came up to me
after class one day and said, "What's wrong with these people? They're
stupid and boring.  They're afraid to say anything and show it."  Since
I had the advantage of reading student papers I know his judgment was a
bit harsh, but I understand how he formed this impression.

The better students at the other University, well, that's another
story.  They're by and large a Freaking Joy to teach.  There's always a
student who's just filling a requirement and shooting for a C, or a
student who has something of an adversarial attitude, but one or two
students in a class of 15 is much different from something closer to
half like this in a class of 25.  It's not just that they'll challenge
me -- if this proceeded from questioning I'd appreciate it.  The
challenges, though, proceed from what's fundamentally a nihilist
attitude toward education: they're manipulating the system and, if
possible, me.  To avoid this I write clear ground rules for the
assignments then show them from their work they haven't fulfilled the
requirements of the assignment.

Within this context, I can see either not wanting to assign memorization
or feeling that you need to make some kind of appeal to force to get
students to do it.  And if you're an adjunct dependent upon student
reviews for your next semester's teaching assignments, well....

Jim