[Milton-L] Memorization

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon Feb 23 21:50:51 EST 2004

>I'm using work in a slightly different sense -- not by way
of physical
>effort for physical participation, but by way of my own
>emotional/personal participation in the service, so that
it "means"
>something to me (following the concerns expressed about
memorization).

Of course. And my answer was only partly playful - for me, at
least, the physical part of Anglican worship - posture,
gesture etc. - is both a metaphor for and a means of the kind
of participation you are talking about. It suits my
understanding of incarnation and sacrament.

I know that for others, the stillness of, say, Friends'
worship paradoxically incarnates God.

And for me too, times of solitude and the absence of words
let God speak - when I stand and see and hear and smell the
ocean on my spring trips to the Outer Banks - tje national
seashore has a stark granduer - but again, I am an
incarnational being, spirtually - it's the created order that
speaks. I'd be a disaster at a Friend's meeting!

Cynthia
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant