[Milton-L] Memorization

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon Feb 23 19:30:53 EST 2004

 I see it as work either way
Well, the word liturgy means work - the work or the people,
or public work.

One thing that I notice when I worship at other Protestant
churches - usually at funerals for academic colleagues - is
how little work to congregation does by comparison with usual
Episcopal funerals and other worship.

In Epsicopal worship, we stand, we sit, we sing, we pray out
loud in unison with the celebrant, we respond [The Lord be
with you! And also with you! etc], stand to sing, to hear the
Gospel read, kneel to pray ... we work!

Often in other traditions the congregation sits, is prayed
at, preached at [yes, we do that too], sits and sings, sits
and listens to others singing - says/prays out loud very
little.

Of course, a friend of mine who is a Friend says, only
Episcopalians could sing, with loud organ accomapniment, a
hymn calling for all mortal flesh to be silent!

Cynthia
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant