[Milton-L] memorizing: passages

Sara van den Berg vandens at slu.edu
Mon Feb 23 17:46:32 EST 2004

Since actors memorize scripts, I have a hard time divorcing memorization and
meaning.  It's very hard to memorize lines unless they are perceived as
meaningful.  On the other hand, I suppose if someone wants to keep the text
at the level of nonsense, difficulty is exponentially raised.  I recall a
psychology experiment at the U of Minnesota, when I and many other
undergraduates were asked to memorize nonsense linkages.  (I did
unpredictably well because I managed to make sense out of most of the
nonsense, as I recall, thereby wrecking the experiment.)  Of course, making
sense out of nonsense has proved a very useful skill. :-)

Sara van den Berg