[Milton-L] memorizing: passages

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Mon Feb 23 17:29:38 EST 2004

Why does the issue have to be so starkly either/or?  Those who have been
arguing for memorization seem to see it as part of understanding a poem.
  I don't see the people arguing for memorization as also arguing
against meaning.  The sound of a poem is not merely a matter of
aesthetic appreciation -- where inflections are placed in a sentence
contributes to the meaning of the sentence.

I think it would be better to argue against memorization by trying to
demonstrate how the practice prohibits the understanding of a poem.

Jim